My experience is with PC / Servers over TCP/IP.  However, messages
like this are usually one of the IPs between you and the destination
are using a port number that is blocked on one or more IP numbers,
usually a firewall IP number.  If the port number is correct, do a
trace route between the mainframe and the destination.  Install
TRACETCP on your PC and use it to check all the IPs on the mainframe
route will allow the port number to communicate. (PING and TRACERT use
a set port number, TRACETCP uses the port number you supply, and
possibly a different protocol).  If you cant get a working port number
to communicate between the desired end points, you will need to use a
proxy to reach the other end with the desired port number.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA