Rick,

We were talking about getting vendors to model your performance on their
respective offerings, not an existing IO problem. It's the sort of thing
that was done by people at BGS that lived in small cells underground and
they were occasionally rewarded with raw meat.

The proposition is that a vendor can take 24 hour of data an accurately
predict your performance with no other input than some SMF records. These
DASD controllers can do half a million IOPS and an accurate forecast of
performance based on 900 or 1800 second averages over 24 hours is required.
And then you have to guarantee that performance for 3 years no matter how
the customer grows, shrinks or changes the workload.

Have a look at the source code for FlashDA and tell me that it's going to do
that :-(

While Shane did not go easy on vendors, I thought that one of his points was
that this sort of warranty protects the performance guy at a customer site
from actually having to understand IO performance.

Yes I work for a vendor, but I've spent more time working for customers. No
need for me to put shields up, I have a thick skin and head to match. Yes
there are many, many brilliant IO performance gals and guys out there
working on MVS IO performance. I don't think Shane was referring to anyone
in that category.

Ron

Behalf Of

-

> >>That's a good idea, providing the customer is willing to provide
accurate
> >>description of what they want to have modeled. SMF has a lot of really
good
> >>averages, but very little in the way of detailed access patterns.
> >>
> >>Can you tell skip sequential access from random with a Type 74 record?
Can a