-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Thompson, Steve
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 5:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: JES2 vs. JES3

<SNIPPAGE>

I have worked in both environments, and have migrated between the
environments, and even started a VSE to MVS/JES3 project -- my specialty
was ALC and operations (just before I was hired by Amdahl) with CTG.

Going back to the '70s, I vaguely remember a rule of thumb (if you were
building a shop or converting from non-IBM to IBM):  If you are going to
run up to 3 CPUs (basically a Box, or CEC as it would be called today)
in a site, you would use JES2 because JES3 Global was expensive (in CPU
cycles).

If you were going to have 3 or more CECs in a site, you would give
strong consideration to JES3.

Today, I have been looking at features I was familiar with in JES3 and
it appears to me that many of them have been moved to BCP (basic control
program) to make SYSPLEX operations easier to do. A good example of this
is the change in console support and command routing.

>From my perspective, and this is just my opinion having NOT used JES3
under z/OS, the only thing that JES3 would buy "us" today is the JOB
scheduler that JES3 had, and Job Set Up.

JOB Setup is a foreign concept to anyone who has done JES2 only. And it
causes heartburn for people having to provide a JOB stream to/for a JES3
environment. The idea that JES3 and MVS can both manage tape
drives/mounts and JES3 requires the data sets to exist before the JOB
starts (otherwise you get a JCL error -- UNLESS the data set is created
in the JOB via JCL) is hard for some to get their hands around.

I have done work for a US Gov't agency, that was running a single CEC
with JES3 Global and no locals. As I understood it, they did this
because they were dependent on the JES3 job management (job scheduler)
system. But they could not otherwise justify JES3. And if they had not
been a JES3 shop in years gone by, they would have just gotten a simple
job scheduler.

I would like to hear from current JES3 users and what they think.

Regards,
Steve Thompson