On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 14:11 -0400, Steve Comstock wrote:
> > > Nobody morphed HASP into ASP or vice versa.
> > Huh? HASP was the efforts of NASA Houston  and came out as Half ASP.
> > Renamed to Houston ASP.
>
> I think that's just a story. I recollect HASP came first,
> out of NASA as you say, and ASP was developed separately
> out in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Notes I took at a SHARE presentation 18 years ago (!) say that the same
people who built ASP built HASP.  NASA was less than enthusiastic over
the prospect of having to spend money on a second box just for spooling,
so the SPOOL program was born, renamed to HASP.

I'd never heard the "Half ASP" part of the story, but it fits
considering that SPOOL required half the processors of ASP.

See: http://www.redbug.org/dba/sharerpt/share79/o441.html

See also Bill Fairchild's recollection where he mentions Simpson and
Crabtree:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg09350.html

--
David Andrews