Well its late in the day and I just couldn't resist. So I'm a bad
person.

> Suppose, for the sake of argument, that I want to keep all the z/OS
> documentation that I currently have on a Windows share on z/OS itself.
> I plan to put it all in z/OS UNIX files and serve it up via the HTTPD
> server. This avoids any dependance on the Windows server for our
> documentation.

Was there any compelling reason to move them? Seems to me if your z/OS
box is face down in the dirt for whatever reason, and you need doc in a
hurry to get it upright again, that having the doc somewhere other than
on the system that was down, or in trouble, was probably a good idea.

Was there ever a time when you needed to access the doc (on windows) and
couldn't? I'm not pushing the idea of putting it on windows, but if it's
already there anyway why move it? Worst case I suppose you could just
access it directly from the IBM pubs site and never need to update your
own copy.

> The problem is that we only have 3390-3 sized volumes and don't want
any
> other size. This means a single volume contains only about 2.8 Gb.

You DO realize that's just slightly over 1% (a rounding error) of the
250GB disk inside the PC I am writing this on? And while I'm at it, who
cares how big those volumes are? They're all emulated anyway. Seriously
folks, we have to get over this space thing on z/OS. We look ridiculous.

> The entire subdirectory that I would like to duplicate contain almost
6 Gb
> of data. This basically means two complete 3390-3 volumes to contain
it.

So you wanna waste a whole 6 gigs of disk for doc! What a resource hog
you are. I bet your storage administrator has to jiggle things left and
right to accommodate your rampant storage profligacy. Sorry, I got
carried away.

> Should something this large be zFS? Or is HFS OK?

Something that large? <snort, giggle, wipe tears> Um sure, why not?

> Is there any documentation on the pros/cons of zFS vs. HFS? I have zFS
> implemented on my sandbox z/OS 1.6 system. But not on my production
z/OS
> 1.4 system.

zFS is the way to go because aside from the functional benefits of zFS,
HFS has been functionally stabilized. You can do what you are suggesting
easily enough. I just wonder whether it's worth the cost and
aggravation.

CC