From: "Farley, Peter x23353" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: COBOL Program exhausting below the line storage

With such a current compiler release, just recompiling with the COBOL option
DATA(31) should put your working storage above the line.

Unless your IDMS requires DATA(24), in which case you have no choice but to
reduce the number of buffers assigned to each QSAM file (remember, system
default is 5 buffers if you don't specify the BUFNO parameter in your JCL).
Or, if some of your QSAM files have large BLKSIZE and others are small,
reduce the largest ones first (consider using BUFNO=2 or 3).  If they are
all large (e.g., half-track blocksize 27998 or close to it), reduce all of
them to a comfortable number of buffers.

Reducing buffer count *may* affect performance, or not, depending on DASD
caching, etc.

HTH

Peter