> Have you considered the system symbol interpreter called EZACFSM1?  I
> checked to make sure it was available in Comm Server 1.7.  This is what your
> sample job will turn into:

I've followed the old, frequent thread about variables in JCL for ages,
and it never occurred to me that this program was able to did the trick.
For trivial things like create a SYSIN-type dataset for FTP or IDCAMS,
where date and time within a dataset name is required, EZACFSM1is perfect,
instead of creating, say, an ad-hoc REXX which does the same.
However, it doesn't look to me as the solution IBM recommends to solve
the 'system variable in jcl' issue, otherwise the use and scope of this pgm
would have been more widely published, and not only on a single, spare page in
the
"z/OS x.yy IP Configuration Guide".
So my question(s) to this forum are what other mates sysprog do with this
program.
Do you use it ? Did you widespread the use to programmers or other staff who
use
jcl ?
Do you see any remarkable drawbacks which I don't see ?
Are there any statements of direction from IBM ?

TIA.

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
BELENUS LOB Informatic GmbH