Mike Schwab observes:
>Actually, their product runs on the mainframe, and translates
>TN3270E data setreams to HTML Web pages.  So any built in web
>browser accesses a remote mainframe with this product installed
>on the mainframe.

Many products do, including a popular product produced by my employer.

John McKown remarks:
>Which puts the CPU burden on the mainframe (3270->HTML). And on
>the smartphone, depending on how complicated the HTML must be to
>render vs. tn3270.

Well, yes. But chances are excellent the debate about end user interface on
the smartphone has been settled already, and (except perhaps for system
programmers and operators) a traditional 3270-style user interface
depending on a special installable smartphone client isn't going to fly.
It's not a very good match for most (or all) smartphones anyway.
Mobile-tailored Web user interfaces are a much better (and more useful) fit
for the vast majority of users, never mind the networking issues.

In terms of CPU burden, sure, there's CPU burden incurred *somewhere*, and
CPU burden is never free anywhere. My employer -- the one that I do not
speak for -- has neatly solved that financial problem at least in this
particular mainframe use case and within its sphere.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect
STG Value Creation & Complex Deals Team