The meaning of SCIDS - Ah yes, going back a bunch of years when the Air
Force and Marines were heavily represented. I always heard it as

Society to "Ceep" Inebriated Drunks of the Streets   (which it most certainly
did).

Imagine a Grand Ballroom with 4-5K folks and about 50-60% SYSPROGs and a
free bar with hard liquor; all you could drink. The information, as well as,
the
booze was free flowing.  Now you know why staying in the SCIDS hotel was so
sought after versus one of the other 10-12 hotels.

I recall when a city heard heavy drinking guys (very few woman were in
Systems Prgramming), the local bars would be stock up.  Then during the week
the word of SCIDS would filter out and the only action would be when SCIDS
closed and a few sessions were moved to the SCIDS hotel bar. But by that
time, most of the hanger-on'ers were already "three sheets to the wind".

The next day it was always a topic of conversation amongst the military types
as to who made the 0800 sessions and who slept in.  It was also challenging if
you were the Session Chair or worse the speaker. I must commend the
Marines, for they were up at dawn and ready to go.

Jim (USAF-Ret)