Each and every time I try to point out new or good points about the z, Iget
the same response: "It is simply not cost effective!" or more simply: "It
costs too much!". This despite the __documented fact__ that the z does over
80% or the production work at less than 50% of the IT budget. Of course,
part of the budget goes for things which cannot be done on the z. Such as
desktop PCs running Windows. But they won't consider Linux instead. It would
cost too much to retrain. And, they say, it won't work seamlessly with MS
Exchange. Which is "locked in" because management is convinced that it is
uniquely irreplaceable. Also, a Linux desktop won't <insert proprietary MS
software product function >.

John McKown
Maranatha! <><

On Oct 15, 2010 10:48 AM, "Steve Comstock" <st...@trainersfriend.com> wrote:

On 10/15/2010 9:28 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:24:08 -0600, Steve Comstock ...
Because most managers today "know" windows and they
accept poor security and performance as inevitable;
they aren't even aware of alternatives.

Why?

Because IBM is not telling the story.

And, sad to say, neither are we. We are not bragging
about the amazing features of z/OS (of course, you
gotta' do this in a style of "is this cool, or what?"
as opposed to "squatty boxes stink, look at what we
do under z/OS").

So, take some time to reflect on how this would best
be done in your shop. For example, Paul, you would
probably not want to extol JCL; on the other hand
you would praise the ability to run both z/OS and
UNIX (in the guise of z/OS UNIX System Services) on
one box. Don't hate EBCDIC, be amazed at the ability
to work with EBCDIC, ASCII, and Unicode all on one
system.

Caveat: of course, there are exceptions to all of
the above assertions, and I don't want to belittle
those IBM'ers and IBM-main residents who are telling
the story inside their companies; nor do I want to
disparage those managers who understand the role
the mainframe has in their organization.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.