John,

As Yifat says, the CA split process may impact performance, but once the CA
split is complete it does not affect performance at all.

A process that reorganizes a KSDS every time it has more than "n" number of
CI or CA splits is not really improving any performance. In fact, it may be
degrading performance as CI and splits once again go through a period of
finding their natural level based on the key ranges with the highest insert
activity.

If CA, and perhaps CI splits are causing a performance problem, the usual
strategies would be:

1) Use a larger CISZ. This makes the CA split faster and creates a larger
buffer to absorb inserts after the CI split
2) Use FreeSpace to mitigate or eliminate CA and CI split activity

CA splits may noticeably impact sequential scans of a KSDS if more than 10%
of CAs have split, and become quite obvious if more than 30% have split
because it would cause IO to behave in a skip sequential manner and defeat
sequential pre-fetch in the controller.

Ron

Behalf Of