From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ted MacNEIL
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: How long for SMF to switch

>Our process to offload the SMF data from the MAN files waits until all
MAN files are full.  >(Yes - I will be fixing that).

I've never worked in an environment that did it that way, so I won't
comment.

>So it forces a switch SMF between each step.
>Because the MAN files are small on very active systems >(Yes - I will
be fixing that), any time I can save in switching will reduce the amount
of time I am buffering SMF.

I'd suggest that you do fix the two above.
Then 1.5 minutes won't be an issue.
It's a symptom -- NOT the problem.

As to size, I'd recommend 2G per and a minimum of 6.
I used to work for a large CICS shop, and we were dumping every 20
minutes during the peak.
But, we didn't have any issues since dumping was asynchronous.
-
I'm a SuperHero with neither powers, nor motivation!
Kimota!

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.