On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 05:09 -0500, McKown, John wrote:
> it appears that I need to trap every z/OS message and look at each one
> individually. Yuck! This is not CPU efficient.

I have a console monitor written in REXX that runs 'round the clock, and
which has used 600 CPU seconds in the last 17 days (my last IPL).  I
know you're CPU-constrained, but five minutes of CPU spread over two
weeks doesn't break the bank here.

In REXX it's easy to screen all console traffic and watch for e.g.
messages with MDBGHOLD set - nondeletable messages.

        GETMSG_RC = GETMSG('CONSMSG.',,,,WAIT_TIME)
        IF GETMSG_RC > 4 THEN DO /* GETMSG ERROR, SNO */
          SAY 'GETMSG return code =' GETMSG_RC
          EXIT GETMSG_RC
        END
        IF GETMSG_RC = 4 THEN DO /* PROBABLE TIMEOUT */
          ITERATE
        END
        IF CONSMSG.0 > 0 THEN DO
          ... parse CONSMSG.nn for message content, or
          IF (CONSMSG.MDBGHOLD = 'YES') THEN DO
          END
        END
        ELSE DO
          ... no message text means this might be a DOM
          IF CONSMSG.MDBGDOM = "YES" THEN DO
            ... handle deleted messages

> What do I want to accomplish? We run with no people other than "on
> call" people on the weekends and holidays.

We too.  I watch mostly for nondeletable console messages and parse
message lines for exceptions (IDMS has an open WTOR all day long for
example) so we don't get bugged about routine stuff.  I got fancy and
implemented an escalation schedule - a list of people are paged one at a
time, at intervals - until the trigger message is DOM-ed or one of the
paged individuals hit 'reply' on their blackberries.

Lionel's XMITIP is the cat's meow, BTW.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.