>Although I would be mollified if PDF edit would enhance the FIND,
>RFIND, CHANGE, and RCHANGE to include POSIX regular expressions.It's not
>exactly what you want but SimpList has a command called FEX (Find EXpression)
>that's totally free for anyone to use. It enhances ISPF picture strings by
>using some of the constructs of regular expressions. For example:

FEX move*var1      Finds (for example) 'MOVE TOTAL TO VAR1-INDEX'
FEX quick*fox*cat  Finds (for example) 'A quick brown fox jumped over a lazy
cat'
FEX gr[ae]y        Finds 'gray' or 'grey'
FEX [a-h]          Finds any lowercase character between 'a' and 'h'

FEX [P-V]          Finds any uppercase character between 'P' and 'V'

FEX [j-nJ-N]       Finds any lowercase or uppercase character between 'j' and
'N'
FEX [a-Z]          Finds any lowercase or uppercase alphabetic character

FEX [0-47-9]       Same as FEX [01234789] i.e. finds any number except 5 and 6
FEX <<<            Finds 3 lowercase characters; e.g. 'abc'
FEX JUDG*MENT      Finds 'JUDGMENT' as well as 'JUDGEMENT'
FEX CENT[ER][ER]   Finds 'CENTER' as well as 'CENTRE'
FEX ' [5-9]## '    Finds any number between 500 and 999; e.g. ' 671 '
FEX [$]###[.]00    Finds a 3 digit dollar amount with no cents; e.g. '$283.00'
FEX TOTAL*[V-Z]    Finds TOTAL followed by V to Z; e.g. 'Total for Vancouver'
FEX [aeiou] ALL    Counts the total number of lowercase vowels in the file

FEX is one of several commands that can be used when editing or viewing
mainframe files (members, sequential data sets, UNIX files, etc). Other
examples include FN (Finds the Next occurrence of whichever string the cursor
is pointed at); COMPRESS (frees unused space in the PDS); INFO (displays
information about the data set being edited such as the amount of remaining
space, etc).

You do not have to be in a SimpList session to use any of the extended edit and
view commands. For example, you could be in a regular ISPF edit session or
viewing something in ISPF option 3.4 (etc). The commands are part of the
SimpList libraries,
but they can be used completely free of charge and forever more, with or
without a SimpList license.

Installing SimpList is as easy as adding 5 libraries to a logon CLIST. No
special authorities are required so even the most junior person can install
SimpList in their own private libraries (if they wish). There is nothing to
compile/link/authorize (etc) so it usually only takes about 20 minutes to
complete the installation.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. More information and a free
trial download is available at the following link.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html