Is this Windows or z/OS data that you are encrypting?  We use library
managed encryption for our Windows data and system managed encryption
for our native and VTS data.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael Saraco
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: TS3500 and encryption

I have a TS3500 that is to be setup as in library-managed and not
system-
managed for encryption. In the process I came across this statement in
the
EKM manual for setting up the encryption.

Configure 3592 E05, E06, or EU6 tape drives for Encryption.
 a. If 3592 E05, E06, or EU6 tape drives are installed in an Enterprise
System
and connected to a 3592 C06 or J70, you must use system-managed
encryption only.

We have the 3592 E06 with the 3592 C06. This is the only place that I
found
this. Would it be true if the TS3500 is setup as Library-managed and you
are
running z/OS that you are not doing any tape encryption? If yes can I
just
have one or 2 drives System-managed using encryption?

Thanks