On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:47:45 -0500, Stan Weyman
<stan.wey...@emc.com> wrote:

>   The sample code is ok but nothing that will help that much.  One of the
two examples is specifically for the ENF interface BCPii provides for, among
many other things, getting return code info for things such as issuing z/OS
commands.  The return code you receive from BCPii simply means BCPii was
able to issue its call, not that the specific function you were attempting
worked <sigh>.  To get the results of some BCPii calls, you need to code an
ENF exit.  Another ENF interface is for Operating System message tracking.
Seems to work ok as long as the operating system message isn't too long,
then it doesn't work so good <g>.  Given how 'young' this product is, there
are problems I've come across.

Stan,

I haven't seen the sample BCPii code but the ENF stuff that you refer to has
been there since around 1990 or so. BCPii is an extension to the architecture,
and is built on top of some of the same infrastructure, that was put in-place
to support the HMC System Console and remote hardware operations that was
exploited by the Target System Control Facility (TSCF) around 1990. (I was
the chief designer of TSCF). TSCF subsequently became the Processor
Operations (ProcOps) component of the Tivoli System Automation (TSA)
product. So the underlying architecture and infrastructure that BCPii is based
on has been there quite awhile. What is new is the SNMP layer and the ability
to use the internal network to go from image to image.

I ran the original task force in 1989 that defined the underlying architecture
and I am a co-author of the patent that was issued for the architecture. The
idea for BCPii came from me to solve a GDPS hardware control problem and I
brought together the folks that funded and coded the initial GDPS
implementation. Other folks in z/OS found a need for hardware control and the
GDPS implement was subsequently reworked into system code. I haven't had
anything to do with it directly in quite awhile, but I do keep an eye on it.

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development