<snip>
I assume that the potential exposure in case 1 when adding as opposed
to replacing a program is that the directory is in a state of flux
involving moving entries from one block to the next (a replace would
usually only rewrite a single block up update the TTR). I know that
there is an EXC ENQ on a special Linkedit QNAME to serialize the
updates but that only locks access to other linkedit/bind tasks).
</snip>

All three of the OP's scenarios involve the update of a PDS/Directory
while the information in that PDS/Directory is in a state of flux.
The enqueues/dequeues involved are designed to serialize the access so
that a "state of flux" is not possible for the duration of the update.

All of the OP's scenarios had solutions. All of those solutions had
risk. Risk can be mitigated or accepted by those with appropriate
knowledge.
This kind of knowledge generally comes from experience.

Us old-timers need to educate the youngsters!