Scott Rowe wrote:

| The linkedit/Binder still uses a hardware reserve.

I has been a very long time since it did so, materially as opposed to formally.
 For the Linkage Editor the reserve has been converted into a global enq using
GRS for many years.  Moreover, whjil;e I cannopt prove it in this OCO era, I
berlieve that the reserve itself has disappeared.   The Binder never did use a
reserve.  (Mr. Rowe's use of a singular verb with his 'linkedit/Binder'
construct suggests that he thinks they are the same program; they are not.)

I suggest that Mr. Rowe conduct a simple experiment, as I just did.  Bind a set
of object modules into library A and write something into dataset B, located on
the same notional volume.  He will find that he can do these operations
concurrently, which would be impossible if a hardware reserve were in use.

Let me add that in this era of virtual volumes hardware reserves, whatever
exactly they are, are implemented very differently, typically in firmware, from
the way in which they were implemented for a real IBM 2311 DASD.

John Gilmore Ashland, MA 01721-1817 USA