Enhanced HOLDDATA is updated once a day. When last I checked, this was some time in the very early morning hours, Boulder, Colorado time. However, you should not rely on it being updated at a particular time of day, because we could change it for one reason or another.

Currently, I am afraid the HOLDDATA site (http://service.boulder.ibm.com/390holddata.html) is down due to hardware problems. They are working to restore it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, RECEIVE ORDER processing can also be used to retrieve current HOLDDATA using the CONTENT(HOLDDATA) operand. This does, however, limit you to one global zone at a time vs. getting the file once and receiving it everywhere. By today's standards, the full HOLDDATA file is not very large, though, so given the necessary network connectivity, you could consider just converting to RECEIVE ORDER for each global zone used for service and call it a day.

Jürgen Kehr wrote:
We used to download enhanced holddata from IBM's server several times a
day for different environments. In the past we haven't had any problems
with this method. Since a few days we get more and more timeout errors
during download. So we are thinking about changing our process. The data
contains a date in the headlines. If we would compare this date with the
actual date and it's equal then, we would know that we already have the
actual data.

But this would be only true, if the data on the servers is only updated
once a day. Does anyone know, if this assumption is right? Or does IBM
update this data more than one time a day?

If data is only updated once a day, we would only need one successful
download a day, which would avoid many possible timeout errors.

Thanks for any help.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing