From:   Linda Mooney <linda.lst...@comcast.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   02/11/2011 06:55 PM
Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is changed?
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

Hi Dave,

Point the sysout to two JCL output statements, one to the JES queue and the other to JES with the class that VPS picks from and destination (or writer, depending on how VPS is set to pick from the queue - could be either way). VPS picks up its copy of the output from the queue for delivery to a 'printer'. DRS presents a VTAM or TCP/IP virtual printer, and can be coded to write a dataset to DASD. I have done many of these setups. They work quite well.

If by cuncurrent you mean that they contain the same data, then yes they do.

//SYSMSG OUTPUT DEFAULT=YES,JESDS=ALL,CLASS=M,FORMS=8411,FCB=8411 //REPORTS OUTPUT CLASS=M,wri ter or dest =VPSmember

//sysprint DD SYSOUT=(,),OUTPUT=(*.REPORTS,*.SYSMSG)

Since using DRS to write the dataset introduces a delay, the user would probably have to run a follow on job to process the dataset, but on the other hand, using a free=close and, perhaps coding a wait step would get him past the short delay to write the dataset. I have not needed (or wanted) to pull these datasets back into the same jobstream, so I have never tested that.

The VPS and DRS member names can be whatever conforms to your standards. Personally, I keep mine matched up between VPS and DRS when I am coding both. The is also an entry to code in the VPS member to either keep or process any carriage conntrol in original sysout. I generally use VTAM definitions for my local stuff, and IP DRS definitions for things that comes in from our own servers. Oh, if you want to write non-SMS controlled GDGs, let me know, it's a bit 'special' in the setup, but it works fine.

Linda ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Gibney" <gib...@wsu.edu> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 5:55:08 PM Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is changed? Interesting, how do you do that? I could look it up, but I don't see how you get "concurrent". Dave Gibney Information Technology Services Washington State University

-----Original Message----- From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Linda Mooney Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 5:20 PM To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is changed?

Hi Skip,

Do you have the LRS products VPS and DRS? If so, I can help you with
coding
so that you can have your sysout and dataset too.

Linda ----- Original Message ----- From: "Skip Robinson" <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 4:50:15 PM Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is changed?

I never noticed SMPDATA2 before this thread. I write SMPDATA1 to sysout,

so it would never spill anyway. I wish I could concurrently write the
same
data to both sysout (for archive purposes) AND to DASD for processing in
later step in the same job.

. . JO.Skip Robinson SCE Infrastructure Technology Services Electric Dragon Team Paddler SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager 626-302-7535 Office 323-715-0595 Mobile jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

From: Linda Mooney <linda.lst...@comcast.net> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Date: 02/11/2011 04:45 PM Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is
changed?
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

Hi Skip,

As I'm setting this up in my SMP/e environment (thank you!), I went
ahead
and looked at SMPDATA1 and SMPDATA2 in the SMP/e 3.5 Reference to check to be sure that SMPDATA2 was also available. I set both up so
that I
will have spill processing. Pretty cool.

Thanks,

Linda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Skip Robinson" <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 10:03:25 AM Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is changed?

The CHANGEFILE was added to SMP/E (quite) a while back to satisfy a user

requirement for a machine readable record of the changes implemented during APPLY or RESTORE. The file is only minimally formatted because
the
requirement did not ask for an elaborate report; just data sufficiently keyworded that a user written Rexx, for example, could digest it and
take
whatever action the user deemed appropriate. To turn on CHANGEFILE via the SMP/E dialog, do this on the 'OPTIONS
ENTRY
xxxxxxxx - GENERAL' panel: CREATE LIBRARY ===> yes (YES or NO, default: NO) Create library CHANGE

FILE change file during APPLY and RESTORE command processing. Provide a DD card or DDDEF for SMPDATA1. This file could be put to disk
and
used as input for a subseqent job step. . . JO.Skip Robinson SCE Infrastructure Technology Services Electric Dragon Team Paddler SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager 626-302-7535 Office 323-715-0595 Mobile jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

From: B Pothoff <bill_poth...@bmc.com> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu Date: 02/11/2011 08:34 AM Subject: Re: Is there a way to have SMPE indicate if an LMOD is
changed?
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

The "changefile" records I'm referring to live in SMPDATA1 / SMPDATA2. Specifically, it looks like the E0 element record might be what you're
looking
for. It identifies LMODs that were changed during APPLY processing, as
well
as the target DD name, which can be resolved to the target DSN with the
L0

record. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r9/index.jsp? topic=/com.ibm.zos.r9.gim2000/lclcr.htm An Element Record Type 0 (E0) is created for each element or LMOD that changed in a target library during APPLY or RESTORE processing. The term

changed in this context refers to an element or LMOD that been deleted
or
replaced in a target library as a result of SMP/E processing. See Valid
action
types for more information. The purpose of the E0 record is to identify the changed elements or
LMODs
in the associated target libraries identified by the L0 and L1 records. -Bill