Mike:

Please see my other recent post on this topic regarding the ZAP.
(I think it =does= care about X'A' through X'F' in the digit
positions.)

I also believe that using variable names in the INSPECT rather than
literals will cause the generation of a lot of additional code to
dynamically build the translate table.  I might be wrong, but I don't
think the compiler is smart enough to figure out that you never change
WS-CONVERT-FROM or WS-CONVERT-TO, and it can therefore generate a
static table.

--Art

At 10:48 AM 11/23/2005, Mike Bell wrote:

>use this instead
>        10 WS-UNPK              PIC  9(9)V.
>        10 WS-PACK.
>           15  WS-PACKN                   PIC S9(9) COMP-3.
>* CONVERT X'FA' THRU X'FF' TO CHAR A THRU F                      *
>* TRANSLATE TABLE                                                *
>        10 WS-CONVERT-FROM                PIC X(6)
>                VALUE X'FAFBFCFDFEFF'.
>        10 WS-CONVERT-TO                  PIC X(6)
>                VALUE 'ABCDEF'.
>with this for code
>       MOVE 0 TO WS-PACKN
>       MOVE WS-CONNECT-REASCD-X (1:4) TO WS-PACK (1:4)
>       MOVE WS-PACKN TO WS-UNPK
>       MOVE WS-UNPK (1:8) TO PRINT-VALUE (1:8)
>       INSPECT PRINT-VALUE (1:8)
>           CONVERTING  WS-CONVERT-FROM TO WS-CONVERT-TO
>The ZAP does not care about the embedded A thru F in the digits position -
>It only checks the sign nibble. See POP for deteails.
>This is the code I use to display DB2 return codes so I know it handles
>c,d,e and f in digits position.
>the code to leave the sign + 1 digit of decimal is there to prevent S0C7 on
>the sign nibble.

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.