Thanks to all who have responded.  The SRCHFOR SYS2.CDB2.SDTWHFX (without the 
quotes) worked.  
 
Thanks again.

--- On Thu, 2/17/11, Steve Comstock <[email protected]> wrote:


From: Steve Comstock <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: SEARCH FOR QUESTION - ISPF 3.4
To: [email protected]
Received: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 3:30 AM


On 2/16/2011 6:52 AM, Haynes, Stan wrote:
> SRCHFOR does indeed work from ISPF 3.4 .
>
> Using 3.4 to list all our PROCLIBs, I just used it to look for
> a DSN qualifier in any proc in any lib, and it works just fine.
> It worked when I typed SRCHFOR VMA on the command line, but
> found no results when I typed SRCHFOR "VMA".
>
> Stan
> mailto:[email protected]
> (613) 941-8091
>

My experience is that although SRCHFOR is _said_ to work
from data set lists in 3.4, it does not do a very good
job when looking for a string in members; it simply seems
to miss a lot. It does OK in looking in sequential files.

To find a string in members I find I need to get into a
member list of each library and issue SRCHFOR from that
command line.

Regarding your quoted vs. un-quoted argument string, you
might try the more powerful technique of issuing SRCHFOR
with no argument, which brings up a panel for you to fill
in the string you're looking for (including multiple strings
and whether your search should be case-sensitive or not.)
Hit F1 for support information once you're at the DSLIST
Srchfor Options panel.

I think I saw someone else suggest this technique in this
thread and it's good.

The ISPF User's Guide Volume II is a little careless on
describing this process.

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf 
> Of Steve Comstock
> Sent: February 16, 2011 8:42 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: SEARCH FOR QUESTION - ISPF 3.4
>
> On 2/16/2011 5:16 AM, esmie moo wrote:
>> Good Morning Gentle Readers,
>>
>> I am trying to find a certain dsn which was backed up by DFDSS.
>> In the job we create a GDG (6 generations) list of the VTOC on DASD.
>> I go into ISPF 3.4, type in the HLQ dsns of the VTOC backup lists
>> (3,435 dsns are selected) My problem is when I issue the command
>> SRCHFOR "SYS2.CDB2.SDTWHFX" the SuperC Search-for is invoked but
>> the command returns back the message "String(s) not found" after
>> several minutes.
>>     My question is can the SRCHFOR command work when in ISPF 3.4?
>> If so could somebody advise me as to how I can go about it.
>> The SRCHFOR command works when I am in a PDS/PDSE but not when I
>> am in ISPF 3.4.
>>
>> I ran a test by browsing one of the VTOC list backups and it
>> appears in this particular backup list.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> Think of SRCHFOR as a member-list command.
>
> It sounds to me what you need is FIND; when you have
> 3.4 data set list, the FIND command will locate the
> name you're after.
>
>


-- 

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
   + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
     for training dollars at
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html




----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

Reply via email to