> I thought I'd share it for those interested parties who have NetView.

I use more or less the same principle to accomplish the same goal. I wrote a
simple REXX
which NetView kicks off every night at 00:00, writing a member named VARS into
one of

the JES-knownlibrary named SYS1.&SYSNAME.PROCLIB:

//* ---------------------- Variables set on 24 Feb 2011
//   SET SYSNAME=PROD
//   SET ID=PR
//   SET IPLVOL=Z19R1B
//*
//   SET DD=24
//   SET MM=02
//   SET YY=11
//   SET DAY=THU
//   SET MONTH=FEB
//   SET YEAR=2011
//*
//   SET DOW=4                  Day Of Week
//   SET JD=11055               Julian Date
//   SET PFX=J               Dataset prefix
//* --------------------------------------- at 00:00:00

The REXX makes available both static and dynamic system symbols. Whoever wants
to exploit them,

must add the INCLUDE stmt in their JCL, as Alan mentioned.

> It's not pretty but it can be helpful to circumvent that annoying restriction.

Maybe is not pretty, but it is effective. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the
problem with variables not

recognized in SYSIN-type input datasets. For such cases, I use PGM=EZACFSM1.

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
BELENUS LOB Informatic GmbH
Munich - Germany