<snip>

> John,
>
> Based on the above, and what you have shared with us about
> the general IT and corporate atmosphere and your health
> issues, it must be damned difficult to keep your spirits
> up. I don't know, perhaps you don't.
>
> But I am curious as to why the mainframe doesn't just go
> away: there must be one or more z/OS applications that the
> Windows folks just can't beat. Can you describe what applications
> are keeping the mainframe around? And why Windows folks can't
> make it go away?

Cost of conversion for proprietary vertical and horizontal
applications.  The R&D cost of in house applications is amortised over
1 user.  The R&D cost of commercially available applications is
amortized over the end-user

Typically for In house applications, there is only here-and-now
expense related with rewriting an existing application to a new HW/SW
platform.

So existing applications don't get rewritten and new applications are
done in new technology.  In-house applications in the 'new technology'
are the Legacy applications of tomorrow.

<un-snip>