Eric,

I believe that the behavior you are seeing is consistent with the designs of
IDCAMS and ISMF.

As far as I know, the IDCAMS ALTER command has no notation to indicate a "null"
management class.

The ISMF ALTER command is handled by PGM(DGTFAL01), which normally invokes a
CLIST called DGTQAL01 to invoke IDCAMS ALTER.  For example, if you specify  any
value for the management class except hyphen, an ISPF variable called IDCBUF
will be set to

         'dsname'   MGMTCLAS(mc-name)

The CLIST DGTQAL01 then issues:   ALTER  &IDCBUF

Specifying a hyphen for management class causes PGM DGTFAL01 to first invoke
DGTFAL05, which uses SVC 26 (i.e. CAMLST/LOCATE) to update the management class
to "null", and then invoke the CLIST DGTQAL01, which invokes IDCAMS ALTER. In
other words, a management class of hyphen is something special that ISMF offers
and has implemented via a separate interface (i.e. DGTFAL05).

I believe that there are at least two other possibilities:

1) Use DF/dss to COPY the dataset (to some other name) and specify NULLMGMTCLAS
(or NMC). A DUMP with DELETE followed by a RESTORE with NULLMGMTCLAS (or NMC)
accomplishes the same thing without requiring the dataset to be renamed.

2) An IDCAMS ALTER that specifies NEWNAME will redrive the management class ACS
routine. Define a new management class called NULL. Add a WHEN clause to SELECT
statement in the management class ACS routine:

        WHEN (&MGMTCLAS EQ 'NULL')   /* USER REQUESTS NO MGMT CLASS */
                DO
                          SET &MGMTCLAS = ''

                          EXIT

                END

     Specifying   "ALTER    old-dsname   NEWNAME(new-dsname)   MGMTCLASS(NULL)"
   will result in the ACS routine setting it to ''

I hope some of this information helps.
Alan