This is an old recurring problem. Ditto for DD statement restrictions.

I recall early in my career with IBM we had a homegrown job scheduler
which required that every DDNAME be unique because effectively it was
a single step job that controlled all "pseudo" steps in the job.

A friend of a friend in Indonesia has built some automation products
that probably cover the issues here. Since these guys started late in
the game, they perhaps dealt with the limitations.

Link here:

http://www.oocities.org/derusudibyo/zJOS.html

2011/4/21 McKown, John <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>:
> [...]

Wayne V. Bickerdike