John Thinnes wrote:
In order to save on IMS MLC charges (uses about 3%), we are investigating adding a second 'IMS LPAR' to our configuration (on same CEC). Currently we are running a 2096-T01. We run a production LPAR and occasionally a TECH sandbox LPAR. In 2012 we may be looking at replacing the T01 with a 2 engine z10 or z196 box. When I was discussing these plans with our IBM business partner, they indicated to run a SYSPLEX, we were going to needed to have a Coupling Facility - and that the CF engine was rather expensive.

No.  You can run a basic sysplex using only CTCs.

I had been reviewing the MVS Setting up a SYSPLEX manual. I am probably being dense, but it is not obvious that a CF is required. Are there any little z/OS shops out there doing this? Is a CF required? Is there any other special hardware or software required. We already run with XCF, WLM and LOGR datasets.

We have been doing precisely this for a few years on a 3-engine z9. Our smaller, capped LPAR runs pretty much only CICS and DB2 in support of a single application. (We share very little data between the LPARs.) The money saved with sub-capacity licensing for those two products is significant.

I did see info in the archives in the 2009 thread 'how to - sysplex'.

Bob