Hi Bob,

Whenever I’ve done DR and I have tested with a lot of customers and
invoked in anger on two previous occasions, at SunGard the Tape Hardware
(E.g. 9310 ATL and 9840C Drives) has never been the same as at the Primary
Data Centre location, but it’s been good enough for DR.  So generally we
have to do a HSC LIBGEN or use what SunGard give us and his sometimes
dictates we need to do some device mapping to meet our requirements.  I
would think this applies to you as well and so this might mean some “Tape
Allocation” considerations.  If we have a really simple tape environment
with only one device, then simple, we map our one device (E.g. 3590)
accordingly.  I suspect that maybe you need to map the SunGard 9840C
drives to 3590, and maybe varying 3590 device types (E.g. Standard
Length/Media3/HPCT & Extended Length/Media 4/EHPCT).  You might also need
to cater for 3490 as well with the varying types (E.g. Standard
Length/Media1/CST & Extended Length/Media 2/ECCST), and for your scenario
all with 9840C device emulation.

I really wish I can pin down your exact problem, and if I were doing
problem diagnosis then I would follow this trail:

**** Allocation Logic ****

1) What tape device type do I require for input – Catalog Look-Up
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/dgt2i240/B.2.10
The above link will help you identify which device type is required from
an AMS LISTCAT of the file requiring input.

2) Am I allocating the correct device – MVS Device Query
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/DGT2J101/4.1
The above link will help you identify what device types and associated
media are compatible with your HCD defined devices.

3) Double-Check what devices are required for Input & Output - DFSMS
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG242229/ (Table 2-1)
The above link describes all possible tape characteristic settings,
including the often overlooked Media ID (I.E. 7th Character of the Tri-
Optic TAPE VOLSER Label), which sometimes, especially with HSC can drive
allocation.

4) Double-Check how associated software deploys tape drives
There are no links here, but you have said you’re using FDR/ABR.  For
input I can’t think of any initialisation/installation settings that are
required, but for output then for sure you need to define what devices are
going to be used, but generally with FDR/ABR then we create a file (E.g.
DSN=) to a pre-defined output device.

Presuming all of the above are seemingly OK, then allocation can’t be the
issue.

**** Media Integrity ****

You state that your tapes have not been in the ideal conditions for a few
weeks, so:

A) Is the media contaminating the 9840C tape drives?
Potentially the media might be slightly humid and so is causing some
temporary issues with the 9840C drive heads.  Maybe the HSC cleaning
frequency could be increased to a low value such as cleaning the drives
after every 5 or so uses.  Optionally perform manual cleans after every
use of the drive as the next use of the drive presuming a wet/damaged tape
might proliferate the problem.

B) Is the media usable/readable?
http://www.innovationdp.fdr.com/products/fatsfatar/index.cfm
As a previous IBMMAIN lister suggested, maybe you could consider using the
Innovation FATS/FATAR products which are an efficient method of
determining the readability of data on existing tapes and allows users to
quickly evaluate and correct tape related problems, as per the above link.

Ultimately as with any problem I think this is a process of elimination,
and it would seem to me that there can only be allocation or media issues.

Regards, Uk Mikey.