> AMEN! Seems like they're just killing themselves(and us too)
> by not having a low end package for development and testing.
> Most folks will take the path of best ads and convert to something
> else, whether it's Oracle/Grid or Blade  servers.

There is, of course, a low end package for development and testing - but it's
Partnerworld
only and not available to "real" users.  I've been arguing with various IBM
executives for
years that these systems should be available to "real" users and I've suggested
a couple of
self-financing ways it could be done.  But I'm afraid NIH and the way zSeries
executives get
paid got in the way.

IBM is supposedly producing its own emulation in 2Q06 - recent rumours suggest
it will use an
iSeries as a host.  There are quite a few advantages in doing that - an EBCDIC
base for an
EBCDIC emulation lets you use, e.g., i5/OS's I/O facilities

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk