If the device that you wish to emulate has a certain feature that (1) you wish
to support, (2) IBM software and hardware supports such a feature, but (3) you
cannot use that feature if you write your I/O requests using EXCP, then you
will need to use STARTIO somewhere in your emulation.  You will probably not
need to use it for all your I/O requests, but you will for all those particular
I/O requests that cannot be done using any other IBM software.

You could always use a supported way if there is a supported way.

If you don't need to use STARTIO, you should probably not use it.

Only you will know if you need to use STARTIO or not in any given situation.

Then there is always this solution:  write a virtual machine that runs under
VM/CP and which supports your hypothetical device.  Then you can use the SSCH
instruction if you wish, and do any bizarre thing that the PoO book says is
possible but which neither EXCP, STARTIO, nor z/OS supports (e.g.,
address-limit checking[1]).

Bill Fairchild
Rocket Software

[1] not supported by z/OS as far as I know.  One way to find out what z/OS
supports is to look at the DSECT for the IOSB (IECDIOSB), look at the ORB DSECT
(IHAORB), and see if there are any flag bits in the ORB for which there is not
a corresponding flag bit in the IOSB which would cause the ORB's corresponding
flag bit to be turned on when the ORB is built based on the information in the
IOSB.  But make sure that the ORB DSECT you are using also has all the flag bit
definitions in the latest version of the PoO before you start.