Or write little program (skeleton ASM)

OPEN
LR R3,4
GET
LR R3,0 OR ...
EOF EQU *
RETURN w/R3 as return code in R15

can also be done in Cobol in same manner and probably all other languages

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 07/14/2011
09:22:05 AM:

> From: Greg Shirey <wgshi...@benekeith.com>
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date: 07/14/2011 09:31 AM
> Subject: Re: How to control in an JCL that a file is empty or not exist
?
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> As mentioned, LISTC will test for whether a file exists;  ICETOOL
> provides a method to test if a file is empty.
>
> From "Smart DFSORT tricks" (ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/mvs/
> sorttrck.pdf)
>
> For example, in the following ICETOOL job, the EMPTY operand of
> COUNT is used to stop STEP2 from being executed if the IN data set
> is empty. ICETOOL sets RC=8 (because the RC8 operand is specified)
> if the IN data set is empty, or RC=0 if the IN data set is not
> empty. ICETOOL only reads one record to determine if the data set is
> empty or not empty, regardless of how many records there are in the data
set.

> //STEP1 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
> //TOOLMSG DD SYSOUT=*
> //DFSMSG DD SYSOUT=*
> //IN DD DSN=...
> //TOOLIN DD *
> * SET RC=8 IF THE 'IN' DATA SET IS EMPTY, OR
> * SET RC=0 IF THE 'IN' DATA SET IS NOT EMPTY
> COUNT FROM(IN) EMPTY RC8
> /*
> // IF STEP1.RC = 0 THEN
> //*** STEP2 WILL RUN IF 'IN' IS NOT EMPTY
> //*** STEP2 WILL NOT RUN IF 'IN' IS EMPTY
> //STEP2 EXEC ...
> // ENDIF
>

> HTH,
> Greg Shirey
> Ben E. Keith Company

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying,
or unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message. Thank you