I tried to write an application that needed to use Unix sendmail facility and
it would have worked except for the stupid anomalies in Perl.  My Perl program
had to issue the external command 'sendmail'  multiple times after formatting
the msgs into an hfs directory - it therefore needed to return to the Perl
program after every sendmail command.

There are 2 facilities to invoke external commands in Perl - exec and system.

exec worked fine for 1 send but it does not return control back to the Perl
program - it can only be used once.

system does return control but because of the forking of address spaces, does
not pass the parameters specified to the  external process. After a lot of
messing around with different Perl commands and options, I finally gave up on
it.

But I did get to learn a little Perl, which is basically a short hand for C.

If you want some good info on Perl on z/os and other z/os Unix facilities, ask
the MVS-OE list.

For MVS-OE subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu<mailto:lists...@vm.marist.edu> with the message: INFO
MVS-OE