From:   "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9...@panix.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   08/01/2011 12:53 PM
Subject:        Re: Orphan GDG problem
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

At 14:08 +0100 on 08/01/2011, Anstey, Gerry wrote about Orphan GDG
problem:

>The problem is that I cannot delete the file using HDELETE, or
>IDCAMS with NVS, or standard IEFBR14 with an uncatlg

NOTE: I see the problem has been solved but for the future here is an
alternate method that would have solved the issue.

One trick is to create a one track DASD dataset by the name of
PGINTT11.B671.TRANSACT.WINS.BKUP.G1460V01. This will remove the
PGINTT11.B671.TRANSACT.WINS.BKUP.G1460V00 entry by replacing it. You
can then delete the dummy DASD dataset. Note that GDG files of the
form GDG.GxxxxVyy (where yy is not 00) will replace a GXxxxxV00
version and will have the same (0) or (-X) relative number as the
replaced GxxxxV00 original. This trick is useful when you need to
replace a GDG file with an updated version but not break the
numbering. There is no need for the Vyy to be higher than the current
one just different. Making it equal to the current yy+1 just allows
keeping track of how many times you have replaced that version of the
generation.