From: Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
Sender: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:43:19
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Subject: Re: ABEND - 637-04

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:17:40 -0700, Ed Gould wrote:

A 32K blocksize is not optimal for 3390 . IIRC it would be 1 block per track
(track size being 48K) Half track blocking or 24K is probably the best, IMO. My
memory is drawing a blank for 3380 (but 36K maybe right) so 18K. Best to use
blksize=0 unless the damn program over rides the blocksize, if so call the
vendor.

And if the vendor happens to be IBM? ...  I believe there remain some IBM
utilities that usurp SDB.  Some of these have been fixed, perhaps by APAR,
sometimes exposing errors in SDB.

It's bigger than 24K for 3390.  Experiment shows 27998.  It's in a book
somewhere.
another publication recommends, "see IBM 3390 Direct Access Storage Subsystem
Reference," but I can't find that on publibz today.

BTW, I misstated the condition in my riddle earlier: "... what is the smallest
block size
that SDB will ever choose on a 3390?"  Of course, for RECFM=F,LRECL=1, SDB will
choose 1.  But that's trivially uninteresting.  I meant to say, "What is the
smallest
block size that SDB will choose on a 3390 for a blocked RECFM such as VB or FB
(or perhaps U)?"  The answer may be surprising at first.

-- gil