Ted,

I normally do not respond but since you were not in the same tone as it usually
is, I will say this.
I have in the past run into seemingly bright programmers that were convinced
that they knew better than MVS in how things should work. We had to fight tooth
and nail to stop them. It's amazing how political things get when an
inflated ego gets involved and when politics get in a war.
I had to get up and explain how MVS handles certain things (like performance
decisions) in a meeting of vp's
And try and simplify it to the executive mind. I put up an old decision
diagram(this was 30 years ago when it was complicated now it's beyond
complicated as we all know)  but this was a political corporate meeting and the
goal was to get some kind of decision made. Trying to stop a programmer to try
and out guess how IBM does it's "thing".
I guess the presentation I did worked as the programmer backed down and did his
thing internally within the program .  We no longer had to pretest his programs
when we were testing MVS maintenance installs.
It was a lot easier to do our job.
Ed