we had started ha/6000 in the 80s ... and then I coined the marketing
term HA/CMP to also capture the work on cluster scaleup (work for
both commercial and numerical intensive) ... more recently renamed
PowerHA
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/availability/aix/index.html
under my earlier name (high availability - cluster multi-processor)

various old email about cluster scaleup part
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#medusa

this references a Jan92 meeting in Ellison's conference room
regarding the commercial scaleup part
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

less than a month later, the cluster scaleup was transferred and we were
told we couldn't work on anything with more than four processors. A
couple weeks later it was announced as supercomputer for numerical
intensive only.

before that had happened, I had been asked to write a section for the
corporate continuous availability strategy document ... but then it was
pulled when both Rochester and POK complained that they couldn't meet
the objectives.

misc. past posts mentioning ha/cmp
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp