I'm aware that the time/date reply is no longer necessary, and I certainly blame Microsoft more than DST for its attitude in the timestamp problem, but I've always said that if you don't like IBM, try the competition.

I accept Mr. Gilmartin's advice to 'try and accommodate it' as well- meant. I do accommodate it, but I have a Dr. Seuss relationship to it: "I do not like green eggs and ham... I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham...". I indicated why I don't like DST, but I don't kid myself that I can change it.

I do not suspect any conspiracy. BUT, popular opinion can be very wrong, and bad ideas can take root and become difficult to dislodge. One only has to look at the post-reconstruction racism in the South, the Japanese detention camps during World War II, and the insanity of the McCarthy era. I don't equate DST to these evils, but I can still speak my mind (hoping that what I say is not personally hurtful).

Ken Brick's reference to the situation in Australia reminds me of the situation that existed in Indiana until a couple of years ago. Because of compliance vs. non-compliance with DST, and the differences between the eastern and western parts of the state with regard to economic centers in different time zones, the situation was so confused that there was a web page entitled "What time is it in Indiana?".

I also in my earlier note indicated that we enjoyed the lack of DST in Arizona, but that's not totally true. DST is observed on the Indian reservations in Arizona, which caused us some difficulty and embarrassment on a trip from Prescott to Denver.

Dale Miller