--------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------------------
Well, that was a bad day.
-----------------------------------<unsnip>-------------------------------------
That's a masterpiece of understatement!  :-)

-------------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------------------
But this does not justify the general statement that this never has happnened, nor ever will, with RMF.

I bet there will at least be one site that has had a similar experience with RMF?
----------------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------------------
I don't believe I ever made the statement that RMF was perfect. I was, however, assured by RMF Lvl-2 support, that it uses designed interfaces to gather its information. Hooks into existing code using the instruction-replacement technique are strictly verboten. It was that type of hook that caused my problem with CMF. I was also assured that TMF had never led to a system outage; only measurement outages or inconsistencies.

We had the same feeling with one product from a third party vendor, that we used in stead of the IBM product. The third party product had several nasty problems, but when I suggestes to convert to the IBM product, my colleague who does most of the SMP work, pointed out that he regularly saw PTFs on the IBM product for similarly nasty problems.
Nobody has a monopoly on problems; even the most careful designs can have some pretty nasty failures when circumstances happen that were not considered by the designers.

No product is bugfree, even IEFBR14 has been enhanced in the past, so stating that one is better than the other should be based on decent investigations.
I submit that "enhancements" are not necessarily "solutions". Even programs with no problems can be "enhanced".

Rick