In <1320209731.19884.yahoomail...@web161402.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>, on
11/01/2011
   at 09:55 PM, Ed Gould <ps2...@yahoo.com> said:

>From the paper: 'Perl users were unable to write programs more
>accurately than those using a language designed by chance.'

What do they mean by "Perl users"? If it's people who had just learned
Perl then the study is meaningless.

FWIW, I consider Perl to be an ugly[1] language with too much
expressive power to ignore. Were Icon or SETL available for as many
platforms and with libraries comparable to CPAN then I'd prefer them.

[1] IMHO a good language should have no reserved words and almost
    no[2] circumstances requiring escape characters.

[2] It's hard to avoid, e.g., doubling quotes inside of a quoted
    string, but the Unix tradition of \ all over the place is
    ridiculous.