gerh...@valley.net (Gerhard Postpischil) writes:
> In the sixties, IBM was sued by Applied Data Research for distributing
> free software (purportedly) similar to what ADR wanted to sell (ROSCOE
> vs. IBM's CRBE/CRJE). The outcome was IBM's decision to charge for all
> software other than the base system. In the seventies, a company a
> friend of mine refers to as Jujitsu took the entire MVS system code,
> removed all copyright statements, removed all references to IBM, made
> some minor changes, and sold the resulting system with its own
> hardware. IBM's response, other than a court case, was to restrict all
> source code (other than HASP/JES2) from distribution, and to cease
> making the optional source and fiche available. They referred to this
> as Object Code Only (OCO). A result is a lack of needful information
> in manuals, as you noted. Some of us look through dumps, and trace
> execution flow, to figure out what is happening, but that's a gray
> area, as IBM's standard contracts prohibit reverse engineering.

23jun69 unbundling announcement starting to charge for application
software, SE services, etc (made case that kernel/operating system was
still free). misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

in the early 70s, there was Future System effort which was going to be
significantly different from 360/370, during that period 370 product
efforts were being shutdown. when FS failed, there was then mad rush to
get 370 software & hardware items back into the 370 product pipelines;
however that long delay is credited with giving clone processors a
foothold in the market. misc. past future system references
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

the mad rush also contributed to release some number of 370 items that i
had continued to do all during the FS period (i would periodically
ridicule FS activities in various ways ... which possibly wasn't exactly
career enhancing). One of my pieces to ship was my resource manager ...
and it was selected to be the guinea pig for starting to charge for
kernel software. I got to spend a lot of time with lawyers and business
people about politices for kernel software charging. At that time, it
was just going to be kernel software that was *NOT* directly related to
hardware support (aka device drivers, multiprocessor operation, etc) and
that *FREE* kernel software couldn't require as pre-req, *PRICED*
software.

I had also been doing a lot of work on multiprocessor support during the
period ... and what went out in the resource manager was a lot of kernel
restructuring done for multiprocessor support (but not actual
multiprocessing support).

The next release (after release associated with my initial resource
manager) was going to have multiprocessor support ... but was dependent
on all the restructuring that had already shipped in my resource
manager.  The *FREE* multiprocessor (aka hardware) support could require
my (*PRICED*) resource manager as pre-requisite. The eventual solution
was moving something like 90% of the code from my resource manager into
the *FREE* software base ... while leaving the price for my resource
manager the same.

There were a couple more of free *base* system releases with growing
body of kernel software addons that were charged for. Then came the
switch to all charged for kernel software. The last release of base
*FREE* kernel software is typically what is used with Hercules 370
emulation. There then was a 1-2 years of charging for all kernel
software before starting the transition to OCO (object code only) in the
first part of the 80s.

old "Data Areas Manuals to be dropped" ibm-main post from 2007 that
discusses OCO and OCO-wars. Tymshare had provided its online computer
conferencing to SHARE for free as VMSHARE starting in AUG76 ... and this
post references some of the OCO online discussions from the period:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#15 Data Areas Manuals to be dropped
and also here
http://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg48551.html

more OCO discussion on ibm-main later in 2007
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007u.html#6 Open z/Architecture or Not
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007u.html#8 Open z/Architecture or Not
and
http://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg62826.html