I, personally, can think of no good reason to ever use IEHPROGM in a z/OS environment; IDCAMS is the "current" vehicle for the kinds of changes that IEHPROGM once performed admirably well.

Rick

We must not have been using the same IEHPROGM. I don't think there's _anything_ that IEHPROGM did "admirably well". It was a pain in the *** in every way, starting with the boneheaded decision to use the boneheaded assembler continuation style of a non-blank in column 72 and the continuation starting in column 16.

And don't forget the inanity of SCRATCH VTOC,SYS vs SCRATCH VTOC. The latter should have had an additional keyword to specify "yes, I really want to scratch every data set on the volume" so that if you accidentally put a blank in front of the comma on SYS it didn't unintentionally scratch every data set instead of just the temporary ones.

I was taught to always put the SYS keyword FIRST. Old habits die hard. :-)

For every IEHPROGM function that I can think of, one systems programmer or another, myself included, had written a better replacement program for it, available on various freebie software tapes. A lot of them are probably still around in places like the CBT collection. So even back in MVT there was little need for IEHPROGM unless you were an IBM-software-only shop, and fortunately I never worked for one of those.

I didn't have a choice. It was IBM or nothing. Finally got to a shop where PCAP replaced ECAP and it was a major revelation for me.

Rick