John Gilmore wrote:

>My post provoked a good many responses, and I am happy thagt it did so.

:-D

>What is interesting about them is that the arguments against my view, many of
>them cogent, were bureaucratic, not technical.

There is a reason - if you are hosting other's data, you had be careful about
their data - better go with their bureaucratic nonsense.

>They are managed for the most part by people who either 1) never understood
>the technology

Not everyone can program properly. Not everyone can program a fast tight code
specially optimised for that specific record layout and format and do it in
Assembler. Those teenagers who can program in PL/I are very good, I admit, but
what is the PL/I overhead?

>In the upshot these shops are bureaucratic, technically inadequate, shy of
>innovation, and risk-averse in general.

'Risk-averse' - yes, especially if the data to be manipulated is NOT yours, but
belongs to other OWNERs. Then you had better get your programs (utility or RYO)
working, otherwise they will drop you in a nanosecond.

Just my opinion - and only my own opinion.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht