On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:35:54 -0500, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>z/OS V1.11
>
>We get many jobs contending for datasets.  These are all DASD rather than tape.
>
>Sometimes I will see the IEF458D message and sometimes the IEF099I.

<quote>
IEF458D jobname stepname WAITING FOR DATASET. TO CANCEL WAIT REPLY 'NO'

Explanation:  For authorized dynamic allocation, the system requires a
data set that is in use by another job. Message IEF863I names the data
set.
</quote>

<quote>
IEF099I JOB jobname WAITING FOR DATA SETS

Explanation:  During initialization of a job, the job required data sets
that were not available. These data sets are named in message IEF863I.
When the data sets become available, the system will reserve them for the
job and job initialization will continue.
</quote>

>I am trying to see what the difference is which causes one of these two to be
>produced.

It looks like you get IEF099I when the data set is in the JCL and IEF485D
when it is requested by dynamic allocation.

>And how I can get the IEF458D to not show up.

Be careful what you wish for. If indeed IEF458D is for dynamic allocation,
the message allows you to cancel to avoid a deadlock.

>I do have OPS/MVS so a complete suppression would work, but if it were TAPE I
>think I need to see it.

Do you have jobs that dynamically allocate tape data sets?

--
Tom Marchant