George,

Does it have to be IBM?  Per Radoslaw's last post, we are using Bustech MDL
1000 with Data Domain back end storage.  We are a fairly small shop, and up to
2 weeks ago we had about 5 TBs of data on tape.  Most of that was Mobius View
Direct archives.  We just went through the Arcmover process to restack our
tapes to compress things, and wrote the new output versions to virtual tape.
It used CA1, just like physical tapes, but the back end storage is magic.  We
added about 400 GB of "used" storage on the Data Domain after compression and
deduplication.  I have not used CA Vtape, so I can't speak to that, but if you
do not have to use IBM, this might be worth a look.

Steve