One possibility is to have the scheduler trigger upon the creation of a
dataset. The dataset could be real (as in the input data), or an empty dataset
just for triggering.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Jousma, David
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Question on scheduling security for TWS ad-hoc jobs

I am posting a question for a co-worker.  We are looking for some real world
feedback on how you may have solved the problem we are trying to solve.

We use Tivoli workload scheduler on z/OS for about 80% of our
standard/supported production batch workload.   Operated in typical
fashion by production control staff that monitor the schedule, problem
resolution, etc.  However, we have this remaining 20% of production
batch that is currently NOT under TWS control that needs to be.   It is
under a homegrown process that usually involves end-users keying data,
and then submitting the actual production job.    We have a project to
eliminate this process, and are looking  for idea's.

What we need to be able to do is to continue to do whatever manual process(data
input, etc), and then most likely post some user requirement on the TWS job
that would then allow that job to run on
demand, but from TWS.   The catch is that we need to be able to secure
who has the authority to post a specific job.   As far as we can tell,
we don't see any granularity to secure specific TWS functions down to the
job(application) level for a specific person.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Services david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H p 616.653.8429 f 616.653.2717

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.
It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this
e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner.  If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the
message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected.
After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in
correcting this error is appreciated.

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
intended
information.