Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 6:39 AM
Subject: Re: Question on adding an SVC routine dynamically to a running system

If adding by EPNAME then it must be in LPA.
If adding by EP it can be anywhere that meets your invokers needs.

Having said that, it is worse to have it in ECSA instead of dynamic LPA
because ECSA provides no capability for SLIP traps or other diagnostics
(including IPCS WHERE) by module name.

Regardless, one might always caution that what appears to "work" might
mean that you have not tested all possible situations where "working"
might be important. I can't think of anything that would apply to this
specific case, but that is the risk you always take when you intentionally
(or unintentionally for that matter) violate documented requirements.

For what it's worth, if the SVC number you want to use is "known" and if
it happens to have the right attributes for you (such as SVC type, locks
on entry) then you can use dynamic LPA with the SVCNUMDEC function (in the
programming interface, a field within DSECT LPMEAX of macro CSVLPRET)  if
using z/OS 1.12 or later.

Peter Relson
rel...@us.ibm.com