On 3 January 2012 19:35, Gerard Nicol <gerard.ni...@tapetrack.com> wrote:

> I can't believe that IBM didn't provide a APPC connection to their TCP
> address space, if they did you could just IEBEGENER data to a remote SMTP
> server (or other service) from JCL without having to spool the data or
> extend JCL.

Please do show how this would look using APPC. I'm not familiar with
anything like your socket DD.

> That has to be a trivial amount of programming for a huge increase in
> capability.

Well, perhaps. But there are many options to consider if you want
something like your
//SYSUT2  DD SOCKET=5000

If something like IEBGENER (or presumably any QSAM/BSAM using program)
is going to be able to make use of it, you need to be able to specify
how records are translated into a byte stream, and a few other things:
- where is the data going? Don't you need more than just SOCKET=, e.g.
IP=n.n.n.n or a DNS-resolvable name?
- do you want line ending sequences inserted, and if so, which ones?
CR, CRLF, NL, LF,...?
- do you want character set translation, and if so, which from and to
code pages?
- do you want RDWs or the like to indicate record lengths? In what
far-end-friendly format?
- do you want TCP, UDP, or something else?
- what should happen when something goes wrong?
-- no one is listening at the far end?
-- the far end refuses the connection?
-- the near end won't permit you to bind to the port?
-- etc.
- if you've chosen TCP (or another reliable protocol) do you want a
timeout, and if so, how should it be indicated to IEBGENER?

These are certainly not unanswerable questions, but for almost all
cases a fair bit more information than SOCKET=5000 would have to be
provided.

Tony H.