Thanks, Jim. That answers my question rather completely.

[:)]
Dave

> (I know what I need to do to "fix" this. I'm just curious about what
> good reason IBM might or might not have for doing this.)

(1) Pageable common storage (pageable CSA and DREF SQA) can exist
    in the same segment as fixed common storage (fixed CSA and
    non-DREF SQA).  Pageable common storage processing in RSM is
    serialized by the Common RSMAD lock.  Fixed common storage
    processing in RSM is serialized by the RSMGL lock.  If
    these two types of processing could allocate and deallocate
    page tables, they would be doing so unserialized against
    each other.

(2) It has certainly been this way at least since the beginning of
    MVS/XA.  I didn't work on RSM much back in MVS/370, so I
    would hesitate to speculate on how it worked.  However, the
    locking was simpler in MVS/370 - all of common storage processing
    in both VSM and RSM was serialized by the SALLOC lock.  The
    The VSMPAG, VSMFIX, RSMAD, RSM, and RSMGL locks were introduced
    in MVS/XA (and the SALLOC lock became unused) in order to
    reduce SALLOC lock contention.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY

Dave Cole              REPLY TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cole Software          WEB PAGE: http://www.colesoft.com
736 Fox Hollow Road    VOICE:    540-456-8536
Afton, VA 22920 FAX: 540-456-6658