>Short answer is that the primary subsystem (for JES2) must be named JES2
>and the procedure must have the same name.

Baloney. Here is the start of the IEFSSNxx member from my Test system
called MVS4 so JES2 runs as JES4;

SUBSYS SUBNAME(SMS)  /* SMS SHOULD BE THE FIRST ENTRY                */
  INITRTN(IGDSSIIN)
  INITPARM('ID=00,PROMPT=DISPLAY')
SUBSYS SUBNAME(JES4) /* JES4 IS THE PRIMARY SUBSYSTEM NAME */
  PRIMARY(YES)  START(YES)

The only complication is one of the CA products (11) specifies the
subsystem name in its start command, so check the CAUTOCMD member of
PPOPTION. Also remember that the command to shut it down is $PJES2, not
$PJES4.
Good luck
DC