On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.com.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Sam Siegel wrote:
>
>> Sorry about that.  I misspoke, I do not know if anyone or any
>> organization is porting the gcc suite of tools to z/OS.
>
> No need to be sorry about anything, I am ok :-).
>
> I just did a quick search and found via goog that man named David Pitts
> did some port, which is now old stuff and wasn't quite finished when it
> was still fresh.
>
> http://www.cozx.com/~dpitts/gcc.html
>
> From his own words on gcc mailing list, he's got a bit disenchanted and
> stopped working on it.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2011-11/msg00072.html
>
> My question about "courts" etc was because I think even if there is any
> kind of court in the land of Linux, it is peopled by a bunch of ronins. So
> there is no "central authority" that could decide "now we go into z/OS" or
> something. On the other hand, I know of no real reason that would prevent
> anybody with knowledge of z/OS internals from getting source code and
> adding z/OS support to it. The final form would be either fork from
> original gcc, like David Pitts apparently did, or a patch sent to mailing
> list or to a maintainer, to be included in a base source.

With respect to courts, I was talking only in the most general size.
Private company (ibm, etc.) versus independent and non-affiliated
developers.

My thinking is that because of the lack of availability of low cost
zSeries HW and z/OS very few independant developers will directly any
application/utility development towards z/OS.

> It seems that cpu support is already in newest gcc:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection#Architectures
>
> I notice they do support VAXen, PDP-11 and 10, and many exotic
> architectures - some in core source and some in forks.
>
> So this may be a good starting point, if somebody here has enough
> know-how.
>
> BTW, from the formal standpoint, gcc is not connected to Linux, it's just
> the compiler of choice. A proper organisation is GNU Project.

gcc certainly does stand separate from Linux.

Here is a link to IBM's contribution to GCC:
http://www.research.ibm.com/haifa/info/news_ibm_gcc.html